30 Main Street, PO Box 392, Salisbury, CT 06068     Tel: 860. 435.2442
© Congregational Church of Salisbury Website by Designs & Images
            1741 Settlers petition General Court for "town privileges and liberty to imbody in church estate"     1744 The Church is formed and the Rev. Jonathan Lee installed as Minister in a log house 30 x 25 feet, which served as the Lee's home as well as the place of worship.      1750 The First Meeting House was built for worship and town meetings where the Town Hall now stands: 45 long by 35 feet wide. Residents gathered at "sabba day houses" between services for lunch, warmth and socialization      1788 The Rev. Jonathan Lee dies and is buried in graveyard behind Town Hall.      1796 The Rev. Joseph Warren Crossman called as second Minister      1800 The present Meeting House was erected measuring 64x45. All town residents required to contribute money or building material.      1804 Separation of Church and State - Ecclesiastical Society formed.      1812 Rev. Crossman dies while ministering to the sick during an epidemic of typhoid pleurisy.      1837 The Rev. Adam Reid begins 40 year ministry. "The spell binder" packs the Meeting House Sunday after Sunday     1845 First parsonage built.      1850 Square pews, high Pulpit and original Ionic pillars are "swept away by the modernizing wave"      1853 Present Bell weighing over 1,000 lbs. struck at Troy and placed in the belfry      1859 Notable layman Dr. Henry M. Knight opens first institution for training of mentally retarded.      1867 Church organ replaces use of stringed instruments.      1867 John Calvin Goddard begins 60 years of service as Pastor and Pastor Emeritus      1889 Organ and choir pews moved to front of Church.   1892 Preparatory School founded by Maria Hotchkiss.      1894 One Hundredth and Fiftieth Anniversary attended by over 400
250th Anniversary Celebration Nov. 11, 1994
 1913 Church remodeled and organ installed in the balcony.      1922 Upkeep Society came into being for fellowship and raising money for the upkeep of the Parsonage.      1948 The Rev. Lawrence Stone begins 21 years of service as 12th Pastor.     1959 Parish Hall, designed by Norton Miner, is built.     1965-66 Meeting House renovated: cove ceiling and pillars from balcony to ceiling are restored, antique weather vane repaced by the whale. New Schantz organ is installed.      1970 The Rev. Dr. Charles Ranson installed as Pastor. Albert Sly joins staff as organist/choir master.      1972 Tom and Francis Wagner, members of this congregation, are instrumental in establishing Noble Horizons.      1975 The Rev. John Hay installed as Pastor.     1981 The Rev. Richard Taber begins 27 years of service as 15th Pastor.      1992 The Rev. Lawrence Stone named Pastor Emeritus      1994 250th Anniversary celebrated, (Video: "To Build the Faith Together" available for loan) Partnership with Iglesia Cristiana Adonay established.
Current Meeting House and Watering Kettle, Circa 1900
Click to enlarge
   2000 Centennial Garden developed. (pictures above) Anniversary of raising of the Meeting House. 2006 Senior Youth Group trip to New Orleans.      2008 Search for Associate Pastor begins.      2009 Rev. Richard Taber retires after 27 years with the church. The Rev. Dr. Stephen M. Austin installed as Interim Pastor 2010 Celebration of Al Sly’s 40 years with the church. 2011 Jan. 9th, the Rev. Dr. Stephen M. Austin’s last Sunday in our pulpit. Jan. 16th, the Rev. Diane Monti-Catania’s first Sunday as our settled pastor. May 15th, Service of Installation of The Rev. Diane Monti-Catania as the Congregational Church of Salisbury’s 16th settled pastor. 2013 Renovation of the Parish Hall 2014 December 31st, Albert Sly, Minister of Music retires after 45 years of service to the church. 2015 March 9th, we welcomed Jack Bowman as our new Minister of Music.      
“No matter who you are, no matter where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here!”
Back to top